Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Why I Switched to a "Gender Neutral" Deodorant

I have been using Arm & Hammer's  Essentials Deodorant for about five years now.  It is the only deodorant that I personally purchase because not only does it work, but it's aluminum and paraben free, and the price is right. I used to use those fruity, brightly colored, "female deodorants," but they often left my armpits hanging throughout the day; I found myself checking if I still smelled fruity fresh way too often. It was frustrating. Not to mention, due to the fact that most of those deodorants are antiperspirant, I would get painful pimples under my armpits because my pores were being blocked (yet I would still sweat like crazy, go figure).
Now I understand that male and female bodies operate differently, but it annoys me that companies that make things such as deodorant, lotion, razors, etc, use gender to market to specific folks using different colored packaging for things that are probably made with the same ingredients/chemicals. I don't care what the packaging looks like, I just want it to work and not cause harm to my body. Why does everything have to have a gender attached to it anyways? And don't get me started on how annoying it is to have to look at a million and one different colored deodorants that highlight everything but whether or not it will actually keep my armpits fresh throughout the day. I hate shopping as it is, so when I need something as basic as a stick of deodorant, I don't want to have to have a mini anxiety attack before my purchase. So to cut out all the nonsense, I stopped buying "gender specific" deodorants. As I age and times change, I am constantly learning more and more about my personal identity. Just because I am a woman does not mean that I have to smell like a citrus fruit, but trust me, I get the appeal. 

I once walked into my uncle's room and noted that he had a collection of Bath and Bodyworks lotion; they were all fruity and colorful. Just to see what he would say, I asked why he had them. His answer literally filled my heart with joy. He said something along the lines of, "These are mine. They smell bomb af." Now even though these lotions are clearly marketed towards female human beings, in reality they are not specific to any one gender; they are simply lotions that smell sweet. 
There are indeed products out there that are specifically for certain human bodies, but some companies take it to the extreme and stretch this idea onto unnecessary things. 

Anywhos, I know there are some vital points that I left out so if you have anything to add, please feel free to leave a comment below. Let's learn and grow together.  

4 comments:

  1. U are right, whenever I use the hubsters deodorant I notice that it lasts longer and keeps me fresh throughout the day. I don't care that it's geared towards men and it smells outdoorsy, I just want it to work. Also, the smell reminds me of him as well. Now, don't tell him I use his razors, lol. By the way, that room looks familiar :-)
    www.ubetterwork.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! oh my Gosh, don't get me started on the whole razor thing, lol. There is literally an online razor company that is trying to promote unisex razors (I forget the name), but I'm so for it. There is literally no need to spend/be charging more on/for a pink or purple razor. Companies need to stop playing with folks lives and get it together, lol. As for the room... :D I'm sure it does haha.

      Delete
  2. I wanna try doing that too! I actually bought a men's deodorant for my brother and I bought two. One he just didn't open and I needed deodorant so I took it for myself it worked sooooo much better than my regular one. I think I'll try Arm and Hammer now especially that it is free of the toxic chemicals too! :) - love from Yelena and theimaginetrain fam ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! This is super exciting, haha! Yes! I would highly recommend this brand :D Thanks so much for stopping by, hun. I followed you!

      Delete